Error while saving
I have been playing RoV for some time and just started getting a new error when I try to save.

--Playing the campaign, Duke level
--Attempt to save
--Click on "new savegame"
--Message box comes back with "Under which name do you wish to save the game, with Duke_7 prepopulated
--I click "save"
--New dialog pops up "Error while saving" with the submessage "An error occurred while saving savegame . Please check the storage device."

I am not short on storage space on the local drive.

I tried to delete save files, then I reinstalled the game, but the error persists.

Anyone have a fix?
A little more...

The autosave function is still working
The traderoute saving is not working

Any help greatly appreciated
Hi!

I might need some more details.
- Which version do you play? (Steam? Boxed?)
- Version number?
- Did you installed the game in its default installation path or maybe on another partition?

Best regards,
Daan
(28-03-2014, 11:31 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Hi!

I might need some more details.
- Which version do you play? (Steam? Boxed?)
- Version number?
- Did you installed the game in its default installation path or maybe on another partition?

Best regards,
Daan

I play on Steam
It was a Steam purchase
I don't know the version other than it was purchased with a bundle of Kalypso games for $49.99 approximately 2 weeks ago
I used a default installation

Since the original installation, I deleted all local content (per steam) and also deleted the userdata directory tree (after saving). Then I reinstalled the game and copied back the userdata files. The problem persists.

Autosave is still functioning, but saves of either the game or treaderoute info are not.

Any help is much appreciated.
Hi!

Here are some possible solutions:
- You may have too many saves in your steam cloud
- You may have too many saves of RoV (there is a limit at about 100 savegames)
- You may have not enough space on the partition where steam is installed
- You may have an user profile containing any special characters
- You may have an user profile without admin rights or admin rights don't apply on the executable (or similar rights issue)

Did you managed to save manually before this happend the first time? For a test the results of the following instructions might be interesting:
1) Disable cloud saving
2) close Steam
3) backup your saves
4) delete the saves (but not the backup Tongue)
5) start Steam
6) start RoV
7) start a new game and try to save

If this works, you might restore your 'old' saves and try to load one of them and try to save again.

Please tell me about your results Wink

Best regards,
Daan
(28-03-2014, 02:56 PM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Hi!

- You may have an user profile without admin rights or admin rights don't apply on the executable (or similar rights issue)

Did you managed to save manually before this happend the first time? For a test the results of the following instructions might be interesting:
1) Disable cloud saving
2) close Steam
3) backup your saves
5) start Steam
6) start RoV

If this works, you might restore your 'old' saves and try to load one of them and try to save again.

Best regards,
Daan

Thanks. Will try this, but how do I disable cloud saves?

This seems promising since I tried your suggestion without disabling cloud and noticed all of my old saves were back.

If this is pertinent, I have saves up to #198 or so already there with only 2 save trade routes. A couple of questions come to mind:

Is there a limit on the total number of saves (meaning game and trade route)? Else I would expect to be able to save trade routes even if game saves are capped.

Also, I tried to copy over some existing saves, but that is producing the same error.

Thanks
Hi!

Cloud saving)
Steam > Library > Right mouse button on Rise of Venice > Properties > Updates > Steam Cloud > Uncheck the checkbox
(This could offer you the possibillity to save more files. But before doing so, please read the text below, as a 'smarter' solution follows Wink )

Yes, there are a limits - in RoV and within the cloud. In RoV this should be way more than 100 (both, saves and routes together - we don't seperate that) and the Steam cloud is limited (afaik) on about 100MB per game (further information on this should be available at Steam). But with your latest information I'd recommend the following:
1) Do not deactivate Steam cloud
2) Start RoV
3) Delete every save you don't need anymore (Note: this must be done ingame as this have be synced with the cloud!)
4) Close RoV and wait for cloud sync of Steam (so the unwanted saves will be deleted from your cloud space)
5) Restart Steam and RoV

Then, everything should work as intended again. It would be recommendable to delete saves you don't need anymore (ingame!) on a regular basis and this problem should be avoided in future Wink

Best regards,
Daan
(28-03-2014, 05:27 PM)Filmstudy Wrote:
(28-03-2014, 02:56 PM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Hi!

1) Disable cloud saving
2) close Steam
3) backup your saves
5) start Steam
6) start RoV

Best regards,
Daan

Thanks. Will try this, but how do I disable cloud saves?

This seems promising since I tried your suggestion without disabling cloud and noticed all of my old saves were back.

If this is pertinent, I have saves up to #198 or so already there with only 2 save trade routes. A couple of questions come to mind:

Is there a limit on the total number of saves (meaning game and trade route)? Else I would expect to be able to save trade routes even if game saves are capped.

Also, I tried to copy over some existing saves, but that is producing the same error.

Thanks

Thanks. This seems to have fixed it. I just successfully saved again. Am I to conclude that the max total Saves (Games + Traderoutes) = 200, since that is what I had before I made deletions and disabled cloud?
Regarding RoV, I'm not 100% sure right now, but this is very likely.
For cloud saves of Steam there isn't an exact number. There it's all about the size of the files.

Best Regards,
Daan
(28-03-2014, 06:06 PM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Hi!

Cloud saving)
Steam > Library > Right mouse button on Rise of Venice > Properties > Updates > Steam Cloud > Uncheck the checkbox
(This could offer you the possibillity to save more files. But before doing so, please read the text below, as a 'smarter' solution follows Wink )

Yes, there are a limits - in RoV and within the cloud. In RoV this should be way more than 100 (both, saves and routes together - we don't seperate that) and the Steam cloud is limited (afaik) on about 100MB per game (further information on this should be available at Steam). But with your latest information I'd recommend the following:
1) Do not deactivate Steam cloud
2) Start RoV
3) Delete every save you don't need anymore (Note: this must be done ingame as this have be synced with the cloud!)
4) Close RoV and wait for cloud sync of Steam (so the unwanted saves will be deleted from your cloud space)
5) Restart Steam and RoV

Then, everything should work as intended again. It would be recommendable to delete saves you don't need anymore (ingame!) on a regular basis and this problem should be avoided in future Wink

Best regards,
Daan

Hi Daan,

Tried this method to reenable cloud synch and I got the save error for both save games and traderoutes.

Then I turned off the synch again, restarted steam, and I can save the game again. However, I cannot save trade routes. I have 2 saved from a while back, but when I try to save more, I get the save error again.

To be clear, when I previously thought the save functionality was fixed, it did not work for trade routes. Any idea why this might be different?

Thanks for your dogged attention to this topic.
Hi!
How many saves and traderoute saves are on your hard disc?

Best regards,
Daan
@Filmstudy -

It could be that the savegames and traderoutes have become "Hidden" for what ever reason.
Go to Control Panel - Folder Options and VIEW TAB - you will see an option to view Hidden files and folders. Select that and APPLY

Then navigate to your SAVES Folder.
should be - ..... Program File (x86)\ STEAM USERDATA\ 135202540\ 227020\ remote\

In that folder you will find \SAVEGAMES and \traderoutes
Right Click and select properties - The number of files and total size will be displayed. Are there more now?

If not - just unset show hidden files in control panel. If there are delete the ons you don't want.

Sometimes files become hidden for any number of reasons.
(02-04-2014, 10:11 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Hi!

Best regards,
Daan

--Less than 40 saves total.
--Only 2 of those are saved trade routes.
--I am back to not synching

(02-04-2014, 06:12 PM)billyplod Wrote: @Filmstudy -

It could be that the savegames and traderoutes have become "Hidden" for what ever reason.
Go to Control Panel - Folder Options and VIEW TAB - you will see an option to view Hidden files and folders. Select that and APPLY

should be - ..... Program File (x86)\ STEAM USERDATA\ 135202540\ 227020\ remote\

Right Click and select properties - The number of files and total size will be displayed. Are there more now?

If not - just unset show hidden files in control panel. If there are delete the ons you don't want.

Good idea. Just counted again, I have 39 saved games and 2 save trade routes after checking for hidden. So, that isn't the issue, but help much appreciated.

(02-04-2014, 06:12 PM)billyplod Wrote: @Filmstudy -

Good idea. Just counted again, I have 39 saved games and 2 save trade routes after checking for hidden. So, that isn't the issue, but help much appreciated.

(02-04-2014, 10:11 AM)Daan Hugo Wrote: Hi!

Best regards,
Daan

--Less than 40 saves total.
--Only 2 of those are saved trade routes.
--I am back to not synching
Can you save a TEXT file in the Savegames and Traderoutes directory - that will indicate if the problem is a permissions issue.
Hi,

I want to reopen the topic. Have just bought RoV after playing Patrician and got an error when trying to save a game - it asks me to check the hard drive. I have enough storage, tried to install the game on default particion and doesn't work either. Could you please help?

PS. I have box version, 1.1.2.4789
Hi pj23295.
- Are you having reading/writing-rights, meaning are you runnig the game as administrator?
Otherwise the game will not be able to save the game, due to user-account restrictions.
- Are you sure you have enough storage left on the partition, where the game will be saved?
As the savegmae folder must not be the same folder/partition you have installed the game in the first place.

Also feel free to contact our support directly, by sending an email to:
support@kalypsomedia.com

cheers

Unerde
hi Unerde,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I'm running the game on admin account for this pc. As for the storage space, both partitions have enough space (one witth the game itself and one with savegame folder). It's really odd, first time I'm having this kind of problem.

I sent an email to support mailbox yesterday so let's see....

thanks